Tuesday 3 November 2009

Desktop Shortcuts - Ughhhhhhhhhh

Having recently installed a new operating system I have of course been installing a rather large amount of software of late, and I’ve noticed an irritating trend

DESKTOP SHORTCUTS!!!!!

Fuck me if every other program doesn’t leave a desktop shortcut. I know what you’re thinking “uncheck the desktop shortcut option during installation” and of course I do numbnuts, the fact is there’s a shitload of software that simply does not have the option not to include a desktop shortcut in the installation options whether you go for the advanced or custom route or not (and I ALWAYS take the advanced or custom route).

It’s fucking annoying, I don’t use desktop shortcuts, I just delete them as soon as I notice their presence. Desktop shortcuts are an outdated concept now we have quick-launch bars, dock-style launch bars and the new Windows 7 taskbar that lets you pin program icons right there and is never obscured by other shit on the screen.

Ban desktop shortcuts, or at least make them off by default, make them an option you have to turn on during install rather than turn off.

What’s more ridiculous is that many of the programs that insist on having desktop shortcuts are ones that you’d never open the program by a shortcut anyway, they’re ones where you’d directly open the file first, things like Adobe Reader, Java updater and VLC media player.

What really fucking annoys me is programs that re-spawn desktop shortcuts after they update – DON’T!

freedoms_stain, wants to live in a world where shortcuts fuck off and die, out.

No comments: