Friday 14 August 2009

Woman wins clothes store tribunal

Woman wins clothes store tribunal: "A disabled woman from London wins an £8,000 payout in a case against clothing firm Abercrombie and Fitch."

Ok, yes, she was unfairly treated, yes she deserved compensation, but £6800 for hurt feelings? Come the fuck on, I think our society has to learn to grow up and get real about this sort of thing.

This sort of attitude has become ubiquitous in the UK. I remember not so long ago there was bitchery over birthday cards that made light of a persons age. It's the same sort of thing, "hurt feelings". I think if you're not mature enough to deal with hurt feelings you're probably not mature enough to be fucking working in the real world.

Is this a side effect of the nanny state? Possibly, there are certainly a number of areas the government should be butting out of that they seem terribly insistent on butting in on, I've already had a wee bitch about censorship in the past. Really the Government shouldn't be muscling in on this sort of thing unless it's actual full-on abuse.

It's a complicated issue and I don't know if I'm really communicating my thoughts on it too well here. Bottom line I suppose is that I see this level of "hurt feelings" thing as terribly infantile. This is something we should be able to rise above as people, not cry to the government or authorities about with our hands stretched out for compensation.

The woman in question was discriminated against because of her appearance: no question, but I think compensating her because she didn't have the personal strength of character to rise above it seems a bit... unfair? Should we compensate everyone with similar weaknesses? I don't think it was right. Loss of earnings, cool, compensation for discrimination, cool, hurt feelings? Get over them.

freedoms_stain, trying (perhaps failing) not to sound like a heartless bastard, out

No comments: