Saturday 9 May 2009

"You can be too Liberal"... O rly?

In a discussion I had recently about Australia I made a comment along the lines of "I don't think I could live in Australia because of their strict censorship" to which I received the reply "Oh I don't know, you can be too Liberal". And this made me really think about censorship and how people perceive it.
I am of the opinion that government censorship of certain forms of media is flat out bullshit. I cannot fathom why anyone other than myself - a full grown adult may I add - should be allowed to decide what I can and can't watch, read or play.
Really there should be no need for it,if something contains extremes of violence, gore or sexuality there should be labels or ratings that warn what levels of what are present and people can decide for themselves if they want to view/read/play that sort of thing.
The common complaint against this kind of view is "Where do we draw the line?", conservatives become worried that Liberal outlooks will result in some sort of amoral society where violence, theft, sexual assault and child abuse become accepted, "legal" and common place. These fears are, I believe, unfounded as the "Liberal outlook" has another central tenet: "Your rights end where mine begin". The idea is that you can do anything you like as long as you aren't infringing anothers right to do what they like, therefore any form of abuse on an individual of any age or gender remains unacceptable and criminal, as does theft of property.
It's not a hard concept and it is indeed a fair concept. The government aren't there to police our thoughts, so why are we letting them?
freedoms_stain, out.

No comments: