Monday 4 May 2009

30p to Pee, Andy Murray at No. 3! (amongst other things)

I haven't had time to make any entries this weekend so I'm just going to splurge right here, right now... If you've visited any major Network rail station in the last decade or so you're well aware of the fact that there's a toll for using the toilet facilities, presumably because unlike local station toilets the major station toilets are permanently manned. I wouldn't mind the fee if this ensured the manned toilets were kept in decent order, toilet paper and soap dispensers never empty, pee cleaned off the floor and toilet seats, blocked and unflushed toilets unblocked and flushed and broken locks and hand dryers quickly repaired. But that doesn't seem to happen in most of them. The staff manning the toilets appear to be there to make sure people don't jump the turnstile and actual maintenance of the bathrooms appears secondary. Glasgow Central and Queen Street rank among the worst in my experience, particularly Queen Street which has a permanent unwavering stench of pee and frequent pools of fuck-knows-what at random intervals on the floor. So, Network Rail, earn our 30p's or make it free to pee! Turns out that Novak Djokovic's loss to Nadal at the Rome Masters this past weekend will see him swap places with Andy Murray this week despite Murrays inferior results in the last 2 tournaments (I declined to comment on Murrays exit from Rome at the time as it was just too painful :(). Anyhoo, Djokovics loss will put Murray at No.3 and make him the first British man in the history of the rankings to reach the No.3 spot. Murray was the tour leader until very recently and is obviously having a great season thus far. Fingers crossed for the upcoming Grand Slams of the year. My girlfriends flat was burgled a few weeks ago and the insurance company coughed up a replacement laptop last week. It actually exceeds the specs on her stolen one (which was only a few months old) in many respects, which is pretty cool. One of the things that interested me about it was that it came pre-installed with Google Desktop. I like the idea of Google Desktop, which is essentially a search engine for your computer files coupled with a desktop widget engine. I already have Windows Search on my computer which is decent, however its recognition of file types is limited. For example Ogg Vorbis and flac files aren't recognised as music and open document format files aren't recognised as documents without installation of additional Ifilters, I've been looking but thus far I can't find an Ifilter that'll pick up ogg or flac as music files or read the vorbis comments. Looking for Windows Search Ifilters I found an interesting Windows addition in the form of Audioshell which adds additional tabs in the properties of several types of media file to allow the reading and editing of metadata for file types not natively supported by Windows. Useful for Vorbis and flac users like myself. Back to Google Desktop, although it has plugins that would allow me to correctly index all my files and the widget engine I feel slightly wary of letting Google directly into my computer. They claim they'll never access anything I don't allow them to in their privacy policy, but Google also mandate that the privacy policy is subject to change without notification - which is a little worrying. It's less of an issue with the other services of theirs I use because I choose not to allow anything too sensitive to get around on those, however my personal computer does contain private information I don't want to share with unknowns. I might try it out anyway and keep my nose to the ground for privacy issues. Also I managed to pick up an In Flames CD I didn't have for £3 in Fopp today - nice :D Incidentally I've been watching the Max Payne film while I type this and it's painfully shite.

No comments: