Saturday 19 September 2009

Ccleaner Proves Its Worth

A while ago I published a wee guide to keeping XP in good working order in which I advocated the use of a great wee program called Ccleaner and I just thought I'd do a wee follow up to illustrate the programs usefulness.

I'd been pretty lax on maintenance recently (a good couple of months to be honest) so I ran a bunchof scans, no viruses, no malware, very few extraneous registry keys, so that was all good, then I ran the Ccleaner system cleaner.



Over a gigabyte of shite!

In todays world where 500GB+ harddrives are the norm, a gigabyte sounds pretty insidnificant, but bear in mind that's from a month or two, a lot of you out there will never have run a scan like this in the years you've had your machines, so imagine how much space your machines might have squirreled away without your knowledge, could be loads!

The biggest surprise there for me was how much IE had eaten up, 150MB and I only ever use it infrequently for Windows updates, and those rarely add up to much, so that was very strange, particularly when Firefox, which I use extensively for downloading and streaming was less than half - so another message for you there kiddies! Avoid IE!

freedoms_stain, shiny XP, out.

4 comments:

Kyle Barrett (No_PUDding) said...

Hey dude....

Insignificant... I don't think it's insidnificant.

PUD here :D

Great program, will use since I just reinstalled windows next to my old Windows install.

freedoms_stain said...

Nice to see ya Mr PUDDING, you're like my 5th commenter :p

If you like Ccleaner you should check out some of the other Windows programs I suggested, Revo Uninstaller is a must in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I've used Ccleaner since last year. I agree that it's a must have. :-)

Nice site, btw. Loved your bit on music pirating. - Steph (vg247)

freedoms_stain said...

Thanks Steph - I was massively relieved that the Ccleaner team have already stepped up to Windows7 support - gotta fight off the Windows stank somehow :-p

See you back at vg247!