Wednesday 29 April 2009

Gaming: The first person perspective...

I rather seem to be losing interest in FPS games of late. And by "of late" I really mean "since HL2 ep2". I did quite enjoy the short amount of Bioshock I've got through, but whenever the opportunity to play something in 3rd person, particularly if it features some kind of swordplay or other melee combat I jump on that and leave FPS games I've had much longer gathering dust. It must have something to do with the general gameplay mechanics of FPS games, I enjoyed Gears of War (which is practically an FPS in many ways) enormously, but the gameplay mechanics offer something different, something perhaps a bit more challenging and exciting and new, whereas most FPS games play almost identically, the only major variations being setting, enemies and weaponry. You can almost have identical control schemes mapped on your keyboard for every game. I guess I have just fallen out of love with the FPS genre. At least for now. You can bet your sweet ass I'll have HL2 Ep3 preloaded as soon as Steam have it up, but tonight when I go home and I have the choice of continuing Bioshock or FEAR (another game I've had for ages and barely touched) or playing The Last Remnant or Lost Planet, I know the latter have more chance of winning out that the former.

No comments: