Wednesday 22 April 2009

Sleep...

I often wish I had more ours in the day, or that I didn't get tired or that I didn't have to go to bed by 'x' o'clock in order to be refreshed enough to work the next day. The average person spends about a third of their life asleep, a third! Think about all the other stuff you could've done in that time! The skills you could have learned! The books you could have read! The movies you could have watched! The games you could have played! Look at all the exclamation marks!!! But we need sleep. We need to spend 6-8 hours a day for our brains to rest and our cognitive abilities be restored. If only there were a better way to obtain that rest. I used to think it would be cool if sleep could be taken as a pill or an injection, instant rejuvenation, the effects of a full nights sleep and no side effects. That's a pretty massive fucking pipe dream right there, but it still sounds awesome to me. Some people have experimented with so-called 'polyphasic sleep', the idea that you take shorter more frequent bursts of sleep periodically. Some people split their normal 6-8 hour sleep up, others try and bring it down to 2-6 hours total. It'd be a good idea if it worked, but all evidence suggests that people who try the polyphasic approach perform less well than they do while taking normal monophasic sleep. It also has a bunch of other problems, hard to integrate into a normal lifestyle if you have to take a nap regularly, where do you get this sleep during an 8 hour work day? It's really impractical on so many levels. Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy sleep, my girlfriend will testify to that, I'd rather just have more control over when I did it and how often. Right now I really want to play some games or something, but alas, I am tired :s freedoms_stain, out.

No comments: