Saturday 18 April 2009

Music blogs, (Spotify)

I'm going to be writing several music blogs here on specific bands and I want the reader to be able to listen to the band while they read, so I've been looking at various ways to deliver audio content. I've had a look at some possibilities and it looks like there isn't a single method that'll work for all the bands I want to discuss so it looks like I'll be using one of the following three depending on which has the best selection of tracks for a particular artist. 1) Spotify This is really the reason for this particular blog, the other methods don't require anything other than an internet browser, but spotify requires you to install separate software. http://www.spotify.com/en/ I wouldn't ask anyone to download anything if I didn't think it was worth the hard drive space. Spotify is a streaming music service, you download their client (see above) and from there can search their database for music to listen to, and build playlists. The playlists functionality is what I'm interested in, you can generate an HTTP link of your playlist which other Spotify users can click to launch within their own Spotify client. Spotify comes free (supported by advertising) and via fee based subscription, personally I use the free version and don't find the ads too intrusive, so I'm pretty happy to recommend it. The Spotify database is pretty vast and bears entire albums of many artists, and the roster grows all the time. Try it out. 2) playlist.com This service allows me to embed a playlist directly into the blog with no additional requirements placed on the reader, you just have to press play. I'll probably add a short playlist.com playlist for all the artists that have songs available on the service for the short term convenience of those who don't want to download Spotify or are using a computer that doesn't have Spotify. 3) Youtube I'm not so keen on using Youtube playlists, particularly as these are more at risk of having videos removed by uploaders, videos removed for copyright infringement and videos not being available in certain regions. However, I may use these from time to time, particularly if there is scant selection on the other two services for a particular artist. That's all on this stuff for now, I'll hopefully get my first music blog up tomorrow freedoms_stain, out

No comments: